I love consignment sales. I like to think of myself as a mighty tigress on the prowl, ready to pounce on a great buy.
A tigress on the hunt for her darling cubs… at deep discount prices.
I recently went to a huge kids sale like this one, on the hunt for summer clothes for the boys.
While I was there, I think I saw the most miserable man in the world. I’ll just call him Larry. Larry wanted to die I think.
Larry’s wife was getting a lot of sweet scores. She had a wagon stacked full of girls clothes.
It went a lot like this: “Larry, oh my gosh, look at this! This sweater is perfect! She can wear it with her four other floral print skirts at home! Larry!!! Look, it’s Baby Gap for 3 bucks! Larry!!! Isn’t this great?!”
Larry was trying to muster every drop of enthusiasm he could possibly squeeze out of his body and I admired his effort. But the fact of the matter was, Larry didn’t care.
I’m not knocking her enthusiasm or great finds (I’ve been there!), and I think that Larry is a good dad and husband. It just wasn’t his scene. It was Friday night at 8pm and he was shopping at a child’s consignment sale.
I saw another man there, and he didn’t seem to mind it.
It prompted me to pose this question to various groups on social media:
Informal poll: Ladies, do you take your man shopping with you to children’s consignment sales? Men, do you like to go? Honesty please!
I am always amused at the answers I get.
As you might expect, the biggest answer far and above was a resounding NOOOOOO by both parties, and for the sake of both parties.
- That’s as close to my husband’s definition of hell as he ever wants to get!
- I’m a glutton for punishment but that is marital suicide!
- That’s easy, no and no
- NOOOO… He hates any kind of shopping.. except Costco
- I don’t even take him to the grocery store! It would be endless eye rolling and sighs
- I don’t even take him when I’m shopping for him!
- He always just sits in the car and takes a nap
- I take no one with me, it is the only way I can do it
- If he went, we’d have to take the kids, and that’s not fun for anyone
- I prefer if he can stay home with the baby so I can really shop
- (male) I knew my answer when you said “shopping.” No
- I like to go alone, it’s my free time
- (male) If I went, I would need to wrangle the kids, and I could do that at home
- He’s the go in and get out type, and I like to take my time
- When I see men at those sales I feel bad for them, they all look miserable!
- I take my mom and sister instead
- I only bring him along for big ticket items
- I can do all that while he’s at work, I would never waste the time I get to spend with him by shopping
*Plenty of men also answered this question with a no, but didn’t elaborate.
I also got several answers from men saying they DID like to go.
- We go together, and turn it into a game and see who can find the best deal or prettiest dress. It means that we can spend more time together, and shopping is something we’ve always done
- I love consignment stores, hidden treasures all around! I really like garage sales too
- I enjoy going and spending time with the family
- (female) My husband loves to shop… if we could work it out to be kid-free, then yes!
- (female) Sometimes he is helpful, but he just likes being with me
- (male) I always go and participate. It’s a limited amount of time we have to spend together due to work and life schedules, so I take every opportunity I can get
I just love all of the different perspectives! Every family is different.
I even got a comment telling my husband to run because it was a setup! Ha!
He was home with the boys. It was 8pm on a Friday night so it was close to their bedtime. It never occurred to me to ask him to go, however. He likes to bargain shop, but I like to handle the kids clothes, and I think he’s fine leaving that part to me.
And besides, mama needs both hands free and a clear head for the hunt!
I scored some awesome Ninja Turtle costume gear for four bucks!!! I feel ya, Larry’s wife! 🙂
After reading this, would you shop with your spouse at a children’s consignment sale?