If you’re like me, you plan a trip in eager anticipation to see new things and hit the road on a family road trip. And you start to mentally prepare because there is never a dull moment when you travel with kids.
Kids are kids are kids are kids no matter where they are, and on steroids anytime you are away from home. They do things that are both scary and endearing.
I‘ve been around the block a few times with family travel. All 24 hours will not be charming, so I bank on those precious little things in between that keep us on the quest for new adventures.
You live and you learn and to me, family travel is worth everything else that comes along for the ride.
Here are 40 things that happen when you travel with kids:
1. Someone will throw up.
2. Someone will have a potty accident when there are no spare clothes handy.
3. Someone will have to go to the bathroom at the worst time.
4. Someone will bear crawl up the middle of a crowded stairway.
5. Someone will choose to hop vs. walk while holding your hand up and down stairs.
6. Someone will misread a map.
7. Someone will miss the turn while playing referee to backseat arguments.
8. Someone will ask “How much LONGER until we get there?”
9. Little people will run and scream down a hallway the first chance they get.
10. Someone will yell “I tooted!” at mealtimes.
11. Siblings will wrestle on the floor while waiting in a crowded line somewhere.
12. Someone will walk in front of you as slowly as they can and stop when your hands are full.
13. Sticky hands and faces will seek your clean shirt.
14. Someone will blurt out something to a stranger, like “he needs to brush his teeth!”
15. Someone will drop something. Like a toothbrush in the toilet.
16. Someone will forget something somewhere.
17. Someone will not be able to find a shoe. It’s universal.
18. Someone will spill a drink during a meal.
19. Someone will wipe chocolate across their face.
20. Someone will cry.
21. Someone will refuse to smile for a picture.
22. Someone will run far ahead of everyone else.
23. Someone will get overwhelmed and have a tantrum.
24. Little people will get absolutely crazy and loud when you need to concentrate most.
25. Someone will jump from hotel bed to hotel bed.
26. Someone will do the windmill arms in a souvenir shop full of breakables.
27. Someone will dart directly into a stranger’s path.
28. Someone will defy you in public when everyone’s watching.
29. Someone will forget every single manner you ever taught them at the table and in regards to personal space.
30. Someone will shove food in their mouth like the Tazmanian devil.
31. Someone will brood with crossed arms.
32. Someone will make you look at them like “who ARE you?”
33. Everyone will try to walk into the same door all at the same time.
34. Someone will forget all about their inside voice.
35. Someone will see something for the first time and be amazed.
36. Someone will hug someone else’s arm.
37. Someone will full-belly laugh.
38. Someone will smile for the picture and really mean it.
39. Someone will say thank you all on their own.
40. Someone will say “This is the best trip ever!”
- On a bumpy transport bus ride, the seat made a noise that sounded a lot like a clown horn every time we hit a bump. They laughed and laughed. And they came away closer than ever.
- We made a pit stop at a little gas station on a long drive home and my son in his adorable, loud 4 year old voice announced to the cashier, “Our mom is GREAT!”
- My 9-year-old snaked his arms around my right arm and laid his head on my shoulder as we sat in the audience and watched a play.
That’s the stuff. That’s why we do it.
What fun adventures have you experienced during travel with kids?